Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Awesome Austria

A friend of mine recently got to visit Austria, and I am so insanely jealous!  Of all the places I want to travel to someday, Austria is definitely within my top 5.  The cities of Vienna and Salzburg look so beautiful and are full of things to do and places to see.  If I had won that lottery, I would be on a plane heading there now.
Schonbrunn Palace

Vienna
Vienna is the capital and largest city in Austria.  One spot that stood out to me after looking at pictures of the city was Schonbrunn Palace.  This palace belonged to the Habsburgs, the dynasty who ruled the Austrian empire for six centuries up until 1918.  Today, it is a cultural treasure with exquisite decor and gardens.  I would ideally like to visit Vienna in the winter, when Christmas markets pop up around the city.  One of the most well-known markets is held in the town square in front of city hall (Rathausplatz).  You can buy gifts such as handmade chocolate and various crafts amidst an amazing display of Christmas lights.  

Christmas Market

The winter is also "ball season" in Vienna, with the traditional dances held at some of the palaces.  If you're feeling fancy, you can brush up on your Viennese Waltz and check out the celebration.


If there is nothing else I see in Vienna, I need to visit the Spanish Riding School.  I've already mentioned that I love horses and horseback riding, so without question I need to check out some of the most highly trained horses and riders in the world.  They have been practicing High School of Classical Horsemanship here for about 440 years.  The iconic white Lipizzaner stallions are known for the amazing leaps and perfect dressage routines they perform.  My horse has a white coat too, so I just want to know how on Earth they get them so clean!
                             ____________________________________________________


Salzburg
The hills are alive! I'm hoping that you all know I'm referring to "The Sound of Music."  This classic movie was filmed in Salzburg, Austria, and if I could pick one city to travel to right this second, Salzburg would probably be it.  Surrounded by the Alps, the historic center of the city is listed on UNESCO's World Heritage list.  The city boasts numerous streets and squares for shopping, over 20 museums, and seven remarkable fortresses and palaces.  Hellbrunn Palace, for example, is considered one of the most magnificent Renaissance buildings north of the Alps.  One cool feature of the palace is the 'trick' fountains that visitors can run through, which have been a main attraction there for over 400 years.  
Trick Fountains
Salzburg is also renowned for music, which remains a big part of its' culture.  If you are a fan of classical music, I really don't think there is a better place to visit.  'Some guy' named Mozart was born and raised here.  You can check out his birthplace and residence, and I'm sure find a million souvenirs.  His geburtshaus (or 'birth house') is located in the Getreidegasse, which is Salzburg's most famous shopping lane.  The house was turned into a museum, which holds many of Mozart's instruments.  I realize this might not be everyone's cup of tea, but as someone who has been learning about and playing music for most of her life, this is kind of a big deal.   


Since I briefly mentioned the movie, one thing I also want to do is go on a tour of the filming locations for  "The Sound of Music."  The tour takes you into the hills for a breathtaking view, as well as to many architectural landmarks shown in the movie.  You can feel like a Von Trapp in no time.  



Salzburg has some neat festivals that take place in the summer months, and since I also want to see the Christmas markets and holiday celebrations in Vienna, I guess I'll just have to travel here twice.  What a shame... 

No comments:

Post a Comment